Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Beauty is on the inside...and the outside too

I read a lot of body acceptance advice on r/bodyacceptance and r/fatosphere. "Confidence is most important", "it's what's on the inside that counts", "beauty is about personality". All this in response to people who think they're too ugly, too fat, too thin, too whatever, to get a partner.

I say fuck that. My partner may find my insides beautiful, but they sure as hell better find my outsides pretty great as well. I hate this idea that people will love you in spite of something. Or find you attractive because they're "looking past" something. What's wrong with dating someone who thinks I'm sexy as hell? Not just someone who is looking past my hideousness for the sake of my shining personality.

I mean, confidence is great. So is being a good person, being kind to puppies, feeding the homeless, having talents, and clicking on a mental level. But I'm just saying that if you're going for it, got for it all. Find someone who likes you for all those things and your smokin' bod, even if not everyone thinks it's as smokin' as they do.This goes along with the "you're not fat, you're beautiful" thing. I am fat damnit, and I'm beautiful too. Why does it have to be either/or? Why not both?

This all popped into my head because I got a song from Hairspray stuck in my head as I woke up this morning. The lyrics go:

Everybody warns that he won't like what he'll see but I know that he'll look inside of me
And this bugged me. Because he takes one look at her shaking ass through the detention door window and you can tell he's hooked. Not because he looked inside of her, but because he thinks she's got a fucking rockin' bod with hot moves.  And I refuse to be with someone who doesn't think exactly the same of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dreaming of Wheels

I finally dreamed of myself in a wheelchair . How we view ourselves is often hard. What we think of ourselves, even how we picture ourse...