Thursday, November 1, 2012

Bloggers, I need to talk to you

A while back I wrote a post called Vegans, I need to talk to you, to discuss the healthism and sizism that goes on in the vegan community. As a vegan myself I find it abhorrent that veganism has become just another fad diet to some and that people feel the need to justify it by tearing other people down. Today the shoe's on the other foot and bloggers- it's your turn. I'm tired of seeing veganism shoved into your blogs in paragraphs about eating disorders and diets. On tumblr I saw a blip just yesterday which said " making me want to hurl my uber-processed fast food milkshake all up in their homemade vegan-frosted faces. With a goddamn maraschino cherry infused with red dye #40 on top. ". Really? Is this what we're resorting to? Tearing down people who make lifestyle choices that are different from yours? Isn't that what you're upset about to begin with? Enjoy your processed milkshake, but don't threaten me just because my vegan lifestyle offends you. And, ironically, this post is about food shamers- while food shaming!And guess who gets food shame and body policed worse than fat people or vegans? That's right- fat vegans.

Part of HAES means being educated about the food that you put into your body and making choices based on your individual needs, wants, and reactions to those foods. So if I choose to eat veggies and hummus while you choose and sonic burger, why is that such a big deal? So healthism is when you discriminate and/or are intolerant of someone based on their health status. When you feel superior to someone because of the health choices they may or may not make- I talked about healthism in Vegans, I need to talk to you because it's a serious issue in the community. However, I don't see much of a difference in looking down on someone's food choices while feeling superior as a fat acceptance activist in the way described by that tumblr post.

And if you've mentioned veganism in fat acceptance, you know who you are. Veganism or vegetarianism shouldn't come up at all in your post unless you're specifically addressing sizism issues within the vegan community. It shouldn't be compared to an eating disorder, it shouldn't be called a diet. Because it's not. By it's very definition veganism is a lifestyle choice that seeks to end bullying and abuse- hey.. just like fat acceptance! It's not about losing weight, it's about trying to lessen/end animal cruelty, exploitation, and objectification. Vegans are people too and we come in all shapes and sizes. It's your turn to step back and check your presumptions at the door. Because all of this vegan shaming? It's, well, shameful. Now please, cut it the hell out.

10 comments:

  1. YOU VEGETARIANS SAY YOU CAN'T EAT MEAT WHICH COMES FROM LIVING THINGS. WELL ARE PLANTS NOT ALSO LIVING THINGS LIKE TREES(?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, plants do not have nervous systems. they cannot feel pain, nor are they sentient. regardless, this post isn't an argument for veganism or propoganda for veganism.. it's about food shaming.

      Delete
  2. I found the site you mean. http://redefiningbodyimage.tumblr.com/post/34607271176/this-trend-of-people-actively-looking-judging. The quote is "Food-shamers all up in my internets making me want to hurl my uber-processed fast food milkshake all up in their homemade vegan-frosted faces."

    And the blogger has the freaking cheek to claim that she belongs to something calling itself the Safe Space Network. I have no idea what the freak that is, but she certainly does not belong there whilst she continues to throw around hatred of vegans, and hence of non-human animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I was searching and searching for that post! I don't know why it caught my eye and got my dander up so much, but the irony of food shaming while being mad about food shamers is ridiculous.

      Delete
    2. That would be me. I do apologize for my words and ignorance regarding my emotion-filled rant. Please feel free to check out my apology and rationale behind why I wrote the post to begin with.

      http://redefiningbodyimage.tumblr.com/post/34831995790/fatgirlposing-redefining-body-image-this-trend

      Delete
    3. thank you for the apology, I appreciate it. and feel free to read the blog i linked to: vegans, i need to talk to you, which is about healthism in the vegan community.

      Delete
  3. And you're the same Bally Balldez who admitted on "The Spine Blogger" that you used to call yourself "The Fat Bastard" but you're not actually fat. WTF is your deal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he's just a troll.. ignore and move on. his comments just get deleted anyway.. no point interacting.

      Delete
    2. I am too lenient towards trolls. :(

      Delete
  4. I have never been opposed to vegetarianism or veganism in fat acceptance, but like you, and some others, I have noticed there is still a lot of healthism in the veg/vegan/HAES community and yes, many have turned the lifestyle, which has its origin in animal rights, environmentalism, and some religious traditions, like Hinduism and Jainism, into a hipster trend. That said, those fat people who are practicing Jains, who are passionate about animals rights, or whatever deserve to feel safe in FA spaces like anyone else is. I admit I am partially guilty of veg hate, but that's my problem and not yours.

    ReplyDelete

Dreaming of Wheels

I finally dreamed of myself in a wheelchair . How we view ourselves is often hard. What we think of ourselves, even how we picture ourse...